Tuesday, August 4, 2009

So Much More Than This ~ By Vanessa Gibson

I am not defined by any one characteristic.
I am complex. I am human. I am a woman.
I am also a warrior. I battle. I fight.
I lose some. I win more. The fight is good.
It reminds me of how alive I really am.
I am a daughter, a sister, a lover, a friend.
I am a courageous leader, not a victim, nor do my circumstances make me weak.
Through these battles I grow, I prosper, I gain confidence with eyes wide open.
This strengthens my ability to fight the good fight.
Things become clearer every day as I am forced to see things through the eyes of my own mortality.
Through this experience, I have learned to treasure each moment,
to appreciate all the blessings I’ve been granted,
to take life into my own hands and do with it what I wish.
I am not scared. I am strong.
I am not fearful. I believe.
Everything happens in life for a reason.
There are no coincidences.
The path that I am on, the journey I’m taking,
Every person I’ve met along the way, every experience I’ve had,
comes from and for a greater purpose in life.
It’s easy to forget this magnificent fact.
Easy to become distracted by all the external feedback life presents us with.
Easy to lose focus and forget purpose. It happens to each of us every day.
Miracles also happen every day. I am one of them.
Hold me in your arms and feel the warmth of my breath and the softness of my relaxed external shell.
I am human just like you.
I love, I laugh and today especially, I live.
I am a winner of this battle called life.
At some point, in God’s time
We all pack up our battle gear and go home to rest
In a place higher than any of us could ever have imagined.
Today is not that day for me…
Today I battle. Today I win.
Tomorrow is a gift behind a closed door,
That none of us have yet to open.
Each of us has the same chance of making it through.
Each breath is a blessing. Each emotion is real. Each day is a gift from God.
Today I choose life.
Because… I am so much more than this.

Dedicated to all the women we love who are courageously fighting cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Purpose of A World Butterfly ~ My Inspiration

I am documenting this journey with a purpose in mind.

My personal and professional experiences can be described as similar to the metamorphosis of a butterfly: growing, learning, expanding knowledge, gaining insight and evolving in the quest for love, peace, health & prosperity.

I trust my internal compass as strong and thriving, keeping me on track to pursue challenging and rewarding life goals.

NOW is always the time to make a difference and create positive impact.

My intention is to step-by-step create change through action that can benefit many worldwide.

About Me

MY NAME IS VANESSA. WORLD IS A COMMON NAME FOR THE PLANET EARTH BUT IS ALSO OFTEN USED TO MEAN THE SUM OF HUMAN CIVILIZATION LIVING ON IT, SPECIFICALLY HUMAN EXPERIENCE, HISTORY, OR THE 'HUMAN CONDITION' IN GENERAL.[1] IN A METAPHYSICAL CONTEXT, WORLD MAY REFER TO THE UNIVERSE, EVERYTHING THAT CONSTITUTES REALITY. VANESSA HAS BEEN ADOPTED AS THE NAME OF A GENUS OF BUTTERFLY. THE ANCIENT GREEK WORD FOR "BUTTERFLY" IS ΨΥΧΉ (PSȲCHĒ), WHICH PRIMARILY MEANS "SOUL", "MIND". A BUTTERFLY IS SEEN AS THE PERSONIFICATION OF A PERSON'S SOUL; WHETHER THEY BE LIVING, DYING, OR ALREADY DEAD. IN CHINESE CULTURE TWO BUTTERFLIES FLYING TOGETHER ARE A SYMBOL OF LOVE. IN SOME OLD CULTURES, BUTTERFLIES ALSO SYMBOLIZE REBIRTH INTO A NEW LIFE AFTER BEING INSIDE A COCOON FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. THIS IS MY STORY...