Friday, August 7, 2009

A Downside of Online Social Media. ~ By Vanessa Gibson

I am not thrilled that online social media sites seem to be watering down real forms of communication. Just because you know how to text or can read a status update on facebook or twitter doesn't mean real forms of communication aren't necessary or that you are getting to know a person. There is much more to life than this.

The frustration I am experiencing comes from a common misrepresentation of thoughts and ideas and experiences. People have a tendency to read small status quotes and think that they know everything about you. This misconception cannot be farther from the truth. My life, for certain, cannot be described in 140 characters or less. It can at best be only a sliver into having insight into someone’s life. I try to keep my interaction on these sites as positive as possible. In a conscientious way, I use a tool designed for social interaction. The misrepresentation comes when people assume that whatever interaction you have displayed on these media sites is a complete representation of your life or of what you may be going through at any given moment. The problem with these invalid assumptions is that with online social media, you can paint a picture of anything you like. You can lie. You can over exaggerate the truth. You can under exaggerate the truth. And don’t be naïve, I know people who do this just because they can and they think that there are no consequences to their behavior. You can make it look however you like, but people seem to assume that following one’s twitter or checking out one’s facebook/myspace page means they know you or know what your entire life status is at any given moment. I follow all the ladies on The View and @iamdiddy and @aplusk on twitter because I respect them, but I promise you, I’m very aware that I do not know them at all. I just think they have interesting things to say and use it as mindless entertainment in hope that these successful celebs may say something inspiring or motivational.

On a daily basis, I experience 1000+ emotions. I filter these messages to only include things that are inspiring, informative, helpful, playful, fun. The other side of emotions, I tend to leave behind because it is not productive, in my opinion, to use social media as a place to dump your problems onto other people. Some are not so conscientious. They dump anything on there like a bad case of the runs and expect you to sift through their crap for the truth. I’m not sure what expectation they have or what their desired intent is, but it’s an interesting playground for certain. After a recent bad experience, I was hesitant to post anything else, because of my sudden fear of the consequences of my behavior. I rationalized that if I didn’t share, then a similar situation could not happen again, therefore eliminating further potential loss. But what about future potential gain? How many people’s lives have I quietly touched by something I have written on there? How many feelings have I hurt by the things I have posted on there? And all weighed out, is it worth it? I think it is worth it as long as I post a warning sign. So here it goes…

My Rules of Engagement:

The content you are currently viewing is not indicative of my whole story, nor could it possibly ever be. Please use caution when using this information to gauge the content of my character or the themes of my life. This common misconception cannot be further than the truth. That said, my life and my story is an open book. If you want to know something about me, ask. If something I say on here offends you, please let me know so that I do not repeat what can only be described as an unintentional mistake on my part. And while I appreciate facebook, myspace, twitter, texting, etc., for what they are, it is not a complete form of communication. It’s a snip it, at best. If you really want to know who I am or what I’m about, call me on the phone, talk to me, write me, ask me for coffee or to brunch, lunch or dinner. Finally, my mother taught me that if I don’t have anything nice to say, I should say “That’s nice.” or say nothing at all. If you don’t like the statements that I make, tell me, I will not be offended. In fact I respect people who aren’t afraid to tell me their truth, agree or disagree. It’s how I learn. If you are confused or unsure about something, ask for clarification before you assume anything.

If you don’t like my rules of engagement, or if you’re not interested in what I have to say, agree or disagree, you have options as well, including deleting me as your friend. I would prefer that you communicate with me and give me a fair chance to think and respond, but deleting me or anyone else for that matter is an option. I used to be offended when someone deleted me as a friend. Now I’ve realized I’m better off and grateful that at least they had the courage to set their own boundaries. What I’ve also realized is that if you think my opinions aren’t interesting or not worthy of listening to, while you are entitled to your opinion, I can only guess that you really don’t know me at all, and I don’t need that type of negativity in my life, only love and light. I promise to offer you the same respect in return.

All that said, it’s ok to drink the “online” Kool-aid. I actually like Kool-aid. But Kool-aid is not the only drink and it’s nowhere near the best drink. It’s basically just watered down sugar. Why anyone would only want to drink that crap as their only form of hydration to the body and soul is beyond me.

So sign off of facebook, myspace and twitter, put down the blackberry or IPHONE and go live your life (if you’re not sure how or don’t know where to begin, send me an email and I’ll give you my guide to living a complete life). That my friends is the best online advice I could ever give you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Purpose of A World Butterfly ~ My Inspiration

I am documenting this journey with a purpose in mind.

My personal and professional experiences can be described as similar to the metamorphosis of a butterfly: growing, learning, expanding knowledge, gaining insight and evolving in the quest for love, peace, health & prosperity.

I trust my internal compass as strong and thriving, keeping me on track to pursue challenging and rewarding life goals.

NOW is always the time to make a difference and create positive impact.

My intention is to step-by-step create change through action that can benefit many worldwide.

About Me

MY NAME IS VANESSA. WORLD IS A COMMON NAME FOR THE PLANET EARTH BUT IS ALSO OFTEN USED TO MEAN THE SUM OF HUMAN CIVILIZATION LIVING ON IT, SPECIFICALLY HUMAN EXPERIENCE, HISTORY, OR THE 'HUMAN CONDITION' IN GENERAL.[1] IN A METAPHYSICAL CONTEXT, WORLD MAY REFER TO THE UNIVERSE, EVERYTHING THAT CONSTITUTES REALITY. VANESSA HAS BEEN ADOPTED AS THE NAME OF A GENUS OF BUTTERFLY. THE ANCIENT GREEK WORD FOR "BUTTERFLY" IS ΨΥΧΉ (PSȲCHĒ), WHICH PRIMARILY MEANS "SOUL", "MIND". A BUTTERFLY IS SEEN AS THE PERSONIFICATION OF A PERSON'S SOUL; WHETHER THEY BE LIVING, DYING, OR ALREADY DEAD. IN CHINESE CULTURE TWO BUTTERFLIES FLYING TOGETHER ARE A SYMBOL OF LOVE. IN SOME OLD CULTURES, BUTTERFLIES ALSO SYMBOLIZE REBIRTH INTO A NEW LIFE AFTER BEING INSIDE A COCOON FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. THIS IS MY STORY...