Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Goals are dreams with deadlines.




Goals are dreams with deadlines. ~ Diana Scharf Hunt

#2 Today I am grateful to stay focused on the tasks that will ensure I meet my larger goal objectives by creating and keeping deadlines for myself.

The older I get, time seems to slip by faster and faster. Sometimes I have felt like hours have gone by and I know I was busy but I'm really not sure where the time went. Knowing that I have a tendency to become easily distracted, this year I'd like to improve upon setting and keeping deadlines to ensure success. As I wrote down my 2013 goals last week, I added deadlines to completing each project.

When I break down my long term goals into daily tasks, one way to ensure I am staying focused on meeting my deadlines is to set timers for each task. At home as I awake in the morning and my coffee is brewing, I spend that time cleaning the kitchen, emptying the dishwasher, wiping down the counters and tidying that area. By the time the coffee is brewed 10 minutes later, I have a nice clean space ready for preparing my meals for the day. I then sit down with my coffee and spend the next 30 minutes planning my day. I know from past experience that if I don't do this daily, my highest priority items will not be my focus and I'll continue to wonder where the time went.

While working, I set a timer to stay focused on each project. For example, a daily goal is to spend 1 hour a day on research and collecting data for an idea that I've wanted to implement for a while but haven't made time to do so as of yet. I now set a timer. When the timer ends, I move on to a different task. This helps me stay productive and organized while handling multiple priorities and obligations and keeps me from getting sidetracked by distractions.

As a recommendation, I really like this great egg timer project by David LeMieux. It's a great tool to stay focused on a task for a set period of time. I hope you enjoy using it as much as I do. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Purpose of A World Butterfly ~ My Inspiration

I am documenting this journey with a purpose in mind.

My personal and professional experiences can be described as similar to the metamorphosis of a butterfly: growing, learning, expanding knowledge, gaining insight and evolving in the quest for love, peace, health & prosperity.

I trust my internal compass as strong and thriving, keeping me on track to pursue challenging and rewarding life goals.

NOW is always the time to make a difference and create positive impact.

My intention is to step-by-step create change through action that can benefit many worldwide.

About Me

MY NAME IS VANESSA. WORLD IS A COMMON NAME FOR THE PLANET EARTH BUT IS ALSO OFTEN USED TO MEAN THE SUM OF HUMAN CIVILIZATION LIVING ON IT, SPECIFICALLY HUMAN EXPERIENCE, HISTORY, OR THE 'HUMAN CONDITION' IN GENERAL.[1] IN A METAPHYSICAL CONTEXT, WORLD MAY REFER TO THE UNIVERSE, EVERYTHING THAT CONSTITUTES REALITY. VANESSA HAS BEEN ADOPTED AS THE NAME OF A GENUS OF BUTTERFLY. THE ANCIENT GREEK WORD FOR "BUTTERFLY" IS ΨΥΧΉ (PSȲCHĒ), WHICH PRIMARILY MEANS "SOUL", "MIND". A BUTTERFLY IS SEEN AS THE PERSONIFICATION OF A PERSON'S SOUL; WHETHER THEY BE LIVING, DYING, OR ALREADY DEAD. IN CHINESE CULTURE TWO BUTTERFLIES FLYING TOGETHER ARE A SYMBOL OF LOVE. IN SOME OLD CULTURES, BUTTERFLIES ALSO SYMBOLIZE REBIRTH INTO A NEW LIFE AFTER BEING INSIDE A COCOON FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. THIS IS MY STORY...