Saturday, January 2, 2010

Moment of Surrender by U2

On October 25, 2009, I volunteered to serve food and beer at The Rose Bowl to raise money for my brother's school music program during the U2 concert. Since they are in high school, they need adults over 21 to server liquor. One of the other adult volunteers cancelled sick last minute that morning and so I was able to attend in her place.

The Rose Bowl offers a great program in the local community where various groups sponsor each of the Rose Bowl's stands as volunteers. In return, a percentage of each food stand's earnings is donated to these local community groups at events such as the Pasadena flea-market, UCLA games, concerts, etc. After we finished serving a completely sold-out concert for an on-our-feet exhausting 5 hours straight (the lines never broke the entire time), my brother and I watched the end of the concert. I don't think I could have picked a better event to volunteer at than a U2 concert, especially since I lived in Dublin, Ireland for 18 months in a beautiful condo on the coast in Blackrock that was actually owned by one of U2's accountants. I earned over $400 in tips alone, all donated to the school's music program and with total earnings, it was the largest single fundraising event for the school's music program to-date. So many thanks to U2 and The Rose Bowl for helping support and continue my brother's music education program. :)

This is U2 performing Moment of Surrender live at The Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Purpose of A World Butterfly ~ My Inspiration

I am documenting this journey with a purpose in mind.

My personal and professional experiences can be described as similar to the metamorphosis of a butterfly: growing, learning, expanding knowledge, gaining insight and evolving in the quest for love, peace, health & prosperity.

I trust my internal compass as strong and thriving, keeping me on track to pursue challenging and rewarding life goals.

NOW is always the time to make a difference and create positive impact.

My intention is to step-by-step create change through action that can benefit many worldwide.

About Me

MY NAME IS VANESSA. WORLD IS A COMMON NAME FOR THE PLANET EARTH BUT IS ALSO OFTEN USED TO MEAN THE SUM OF HUMAN CIVILIZATION LIVING ON IT, SPECIFICALLY HUMAN EXPERIENCE, HISTORY, OR THE 'HUMAN CONDITION' IN GENERAL.[1] IN A METAPHYSICAL CONTEXT, WORLD MAY REFER TO THE UNIVERSE, EVERYTHING THAT CONSTITUTES REALITY. VANESSA HAS BEEN ADOPTED AS THE NAME OF A GENUS OF BUTTERFLY. THE ANCIENT GREEK WORD FOR "BUTTERFLY" IS ΨΥΧΉ (PSȲCHĒ), WHICH PRIMARILY MEANS "SOUL", "MIND". A BUTTERFLY IS SEEN AS THE PERSONIFICATION OF A PERSON'S SOUL; WHETHER THEY BE LIVING, DYING, OR ALREADY DEAD. IN CHINESE CULTURE TWO BUTTERFLIES FLYING TOGETHER ARE A SYMBOL OF LOVE. IN SOME OLD CULTURES, BUTTERFLIES ALSO SYMBOLIZE REBIRTH INTO A NEW LIFE AFTER BEING INSIDE A COCOON FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. THIS IS MY STORY...